Friday, April 29, 2011

Week 6: Can I have a dance with you?

Masquerade balls are events where people attend in a costume wearing a mask. These masks were used to conceal or hide the identity of the person who wears it during the ball. Usually at these events, people would be dancing with strangers whom they would guess their identity behind the mask. And also, would try to steal a womans kiss at the end, the one that stands out. I find this masquerade event to be very interesting. I am so fond of these masks to be honest. Id really like to own one. I had a friend who went to Italy last year and got one of these masquerade masks and i was instantly falling in love with it. I wished i could go there too. Masquerades were originated in Italy in somewhat 1300s. Most times. the women would be the ones wearing them but there are male masquerade masks too.



















These masks are so pretty. The designs on the masks are so elaborate and detailed that makes it so significant from my own point of view. Some are simple too but theres just something about them that makes it look so elegant and like antique. Also, venetian masks are somewhat similar to these. Maybe they just have different terms to call it. But the designs on these masks are so breathtaking. Sometimes it could make you feel mysterious too. I wish they had these balls here where i live. I would kill to wear these masks!

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masquerade_ball

No comments:

Post a Comment